Monday 20 June 2011

Serpentine Gallery

Only a few days to wait to see Peter Zumthor's summer pavilion at the Serpentine Gallery. I really like Zumthor and I really like the Summer Pavilion concept, so expectations are high.

"The hortus conclusus that I dream of is enclosed all around and open to the sky. Every time I imagine a garden in an architectural setting, it turns into a magical place. I think of gardens that I have seen, that I believe I have seen, that I long to see, surrounded by simple walls, columns, arcades or the façades of buildings – sheltered places of great intimacy where I want to stay for a long time."

And there is another aspect to this years structure, the collaboration with the planting designer, Piet Oudolf. Oudolf is involved in the awesome High Line project in New york where elevated sections of old freight train tracks are turned into special green spaces.
You can see what all the fuss is about from the 1st July.

No comments:

Post a Comment