Wednesday 2 May 2012

Branch Studios

The latest development of the 'Domesticity' table form Branch Studios. I shared a workshop with the founder, Chris Gil for years. Chris is one of those incredibly annoying Woodworkers, he just gets it, its all so easy and natural.
I think a natural aptitude generally means the work leans towards a classic style classic. Its partly an understanding of the properties of the materials and partly a view of how things were, and should be done. There is huge respect for the history of the trade. I certainly do not consider myself a born maker and I think that slight awkwardness projects sometimes. I come from the other side, I sculpt rather than make. It is not all bad, the rule breaking means the work can be more challenging, but you can lose some longevity, its all about a balance.
I think Branch are very nicely placed within the scale.
Hope all is going super well Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment